Sunday, May 8, 2011

She's a Little Bit Country


Snaps for Marie Osmond!  She recently remarried her first husband, Steven Craig.  I’m happy for Marie; she’s had a rough couple of years.  I love that she wore the same wedding dress from their first wedding nearly 30 years ago.  She looked great.  Go Marie!  


I’ve been an Osmond fan for years.  I would love to go to Vegas and see Donny and Marie live.  Steffi and I loved the original Donny and Marie show.  We had the Donny and Marie Barbie dolls.  





Once, while on the long pilgrimage from Arkansas to my grandparent’s house in East Texas, Marie‘s stage dress was tragically lost forever.  We would make this long trip every summer, just us girls. Dad would have to stay behind and work.  My mother had a 1980 something Pontiac station wagon with great cargo space.  We often traveled with the Barbie dream house in the back.   On this particular trip, Steffi and I had been fighting over the Peaches and Cream Barbie for a while. Mom had told us several times to stop it. It’s not as if we didn’t have 15 more Babies to choose from.  For whatever reason, we just couldn’t let it go.  I guess Mom had reached her limit.  It seems an 8 hour road trip with two squabbling children and the family dog can really get to you.  I still remember it, she didn’t even slow down.  She reached her hand into the back seat and said, “Give it to me.”   We handed Peaches over to her.  She hit the button for the automatic window, and tossed Peaches into a passing field.  Steffi and I set in silence.  It was clear we had pushed her too far.  The real tragedy was that Peaches was wearing Marie’s stage dress.  From that day on, Donny and Marie’s shows would never again have the style and panache as when they matched.  Marie would wear an assortment of other gowns or sometimes perform in the buff, but she and Donny never again looked like the pulled together duo they once were.  





2 comments:

That Pink Girl said...

Peaches & Cream was THE Barbie to have. No wonder y'all fought over her! Poor Marie, having to perform nekkid. And I always thought her so modest...

Christa said...

LOVE that story! I often wonder how many other Peaches, lay along the side of the road, through fits of temporary fits of mama crazy!!
Somewhere along the dusty roads of west Texas, I know my Snoopy keychain silently lays, through no fault of my own of course...See, what had happened was.. 8)