Thursday, May 19, 2011

On the Move. . . .

I'd like to start this post by saying that I have never mentioned my current school district on this blog.  I've always felt this was a personal blog and chose not to include that information.  For the same reason I will continue to exclude such details from future posts.  Obviously the vast majority of people who read this blog know me personally, so they of course know all the scoop.  To my friends (people I know in person) who follow me here, but are not local and haven't heard yet - feel free to email (betsy76@sbcglobal.net) or call me - I'm happy to share details. I just don't want to post professional details on a public site.
There are going to be some pretty significant changes in my life in the next few months.  I have accepted a counseling position in another school district.  I will be leaving Dallas which has been home to me for 12 years.  It's a little overwhelming to think about having to move, start a new job and get settled in a new town - but I know it will all work out.   For now, I'll say that I'm moving to East Texas and will work at an elementary school.  More details on my new hometown may follow later in the summer. It's really not that far from Dallas so I can visit often and I hope to have lots of visitors. 

A couple of weeks ago I had two interviews.  One was in my current district.  My district is very big and has a "pool" system.  This means that your first interview is to be chosen for a pool of applicants who can be selected by principals for campus interviews. So, if you make the pool, it doesn't mean you have a job; it means a principal can consider you for a job. Why make things easy - right?

Anyway, the pool process is very competitive.  Around 50 people apply each year and only 5-10 people get in.   This year was my 3rd year to apply and interview for the pool. Once you are in, you stay in the pool for 3 years. There were two openings in my district for next school year - one high school and one elementary.  I was mainly interested in the elementary opening.  In fact, it was at the school where I have don't some counseling this year on my conference time. 

The other interview was in the district where I'll be going.  It's a smaller district and I interviewed with the principal and staff directly.  Last week on Wednesday, the principal called to offer me the job.  They gave me a few days to think about it, knowing I would want to scope out some housing options first.  I told them I would get back with them early this week.

Around the same time last week, I found out that I did make the pool in my district.  I felt torn - should I take the job that had been offered, or hold out for a chance to interview with a principal in my district?  I prayed for clarity. I was worried I would make the wrong choice and regret it later. I asked God to make it perfectly clear.  That same day I found out that my district had decided not to fill the elementary job after all, because of budget cuts. Now the only opening in my district was at a high school.  This made my decision easy.  I asked God to make it clear and He did.  I called the new district on Monday and accepted.  My new contract should  arrive in the mail any day now.  Of course I'm still kind of nervous about moving and I know there will be some hard days ahead - lonely days in a new place where I don't know anyone - but feel confident it's the right move.

I plan on moving sometime in late June or early July.  I've looked at a few rent properties and plan to see more this weekend. I'll also meet with a realtor and see a couple of houses.  I'm not really sure I'm ready to buy my first home right now with all of the other changes in my life??  We'll see what works out.  God has opened the doors for all of this to fall in place and I trust that housing will work out too. The Rents are meeting me to check out some housing options this weekend - Please pray for safe travel for all of us. 

Local friends:  I'll be having some packing parties soon.  I hope you'll join in the Fun - See how I just made packing sound fun :)

Side note: The movers asked me to estimate the number of boxes I would have - Seriously, how does one estimate how many boxes it will take to hold everything you own? 

2 comments:

Jay said...

Betsy, I recently moved to East Texas myself--Tyler/Lindale area. Email me if you'd like Sallymc@sbcglobal.net if you have any questions. I am still learning about the area myself, but I'd be happy to tell you or find out anything you'd like to know. Congrats on your new job!

Jay said...

Sorry, don't know why it says "Jay"...that's my husband! LOL, this is Sally (Adams) McConathy writing. :)