Tuesday, April 26, 2011

It's nice to have options!


I'm glad I have more career options than the women of my mother's generation.  However, I still sometimes feel under-appreciated in the workplace.  In my opinion, no woman better expresses this sentiment  then Dolly.

She said it best. . . . .

Workin' nine to five
What a way to make a livin'
Barely gettin' by
It's all takin' and no givin'
They just use your mind
And they never give you credit
It's enough to drive you
Crazy if you let it
Nine to five, for service and devotion
You would think that I
Would deserve a fair promotion
Want to move ahead
But the boss won't seem to let me
I swear sometimes that man is out to get me
They let your dream
Just a' watch 'em shatter
You're just a step
On the boss man's ladder
But you got dreams he'll never take away
In the same boat with a lot of your friends
Waitin' for the day your ship'll come in
And the tide's gonna turn
And it's all gonna roll your way

Speaking of career options. . . . . . . .

I was surprised to get a call this afternoon about another job opportunity.  I had been told this particular school district would not be hiring counselors this year due to the statewide budget cuts.  The district is in the Metroplex, so if employed there, I would be able to stay in Dallas.

It's funny how things change.  I've been looking for a counseling job for three years.  In the past I was not open to leaving Dallas. I was absolutely closed to the idea.  However in the past few months, God has been working on me.

I guess I should start by saying that I read some ridiculous self-help article a few months ago.  This was not a Christian article, it was secular in nature and appeared in some generic home magazine, nothing scientific for sure.  The main idea of the article was this; If you continue to do the same thing, you will get the same result.  If you want different results in life, change what you are doing. I would also like to add that even though this theory seemed to stir some movement in my professional life. It was a total bust in my personal life.  I could look at it and see that in the past I would not have even considered applying for jobs outside the Dallas Metro area - and of course I never got a counseling job.  On the same hand you could say now that I open to the idea of moving, it seems that I have had more opportunities to interview, obviously increasing my chances of getting hired.

Now to set the record straight. The article itself had nothing  to do with my recent interview opportunities. I believe my life is is in the Lord's hands.  He is in control.  I''m not saying the theory is a totally bad idea.  I can see how it could apply to many areas of ones life such as weight loss, finance or time management. However, in the case of my job search. my family and I have been praying about the situation for years.  We know He is Lord. 

So why did I read the article in the first place?  I don't know.  But it's possible that God used the article to encourage me to think about the job search differently.  As I started thinking about what my life would be like in a new city, God gave me peace and reminded me that He would be there too.  He would also make a way for me to meet new friends and find a new place to worship and serve Him.  In time I began to feel open to the idea that I would move, if the Lord lead me to do so.

I shared earlier that I was ready to leave my comfort zone.  It's just been in recent weeks that I began to open my heart to the idea of moving.  Don't get me wrong, it's crazy scary.  Being a single girl, it would be a huge deal for me to just pick up and start life over, in a new place, where I didn't know anyone.  I feel like I've been on an emotional roller coaster.  One day I'm actually excited about the possibility of a fresh start in a new place and breaking out of the rut I've been in lately.  The next day I'm thinking I must be crazy to leave my friends, my church, my sweet little East Dallas Neighborhood and a good school district where I've been for 12 years. 

Over this past week I've looked at housing options online and hunted down old school mates and Facebook friends who may be living in or around my prospective new cities.  When I found out today about the local opportunity, I was a little shocked that I wasn't more excited.  I immediately began to over analyze it as only I can do.  I started thinking that of course this is the easiest option.  It's so much easier than having to move.  Lets face it - moving is a hassle. However it is the best way to clean house. There was also a little sadness about the possibility of not moving?  weird.

The fact remains that I have not yet been offered a  job.  I may not be offered any of these jobs.  I leave it in the Lords hands.  I will continue to pray for clarity and wisdom. I have two interviews next week.  Please pray for me as I seek God's will and keep my heart open to whatever He has for me.

In any case - It's nice to have options.

No comments: