Tuesday, June 4, 2013

You've Got to Have Friends!

The events of this past weekend were a great reminder of how lucky I am to have such wonderful friends.

This has been a rough year for me. I won’t mention why, because it’s not important to this story, but I knew Saturday June 1st would be a difficult day.  I want to give a shout out to my best friend Christa for making the trip to Tyler to hang out with me and help keep me busy and cheerful!



Christa got into town just in time to have lunch at the Potpourri  House, one of my favorite places. Another friend joined us for spiced tea and good conversation. 



After lunch we didn’t really have a plan, but we ended up making lots of stops to gather some things we need for our Savannah road trip coming up at the end of June.  We stopped by the mall and I got 3 new pairs of summer shorts and capris – all two sizes smaller than I was wearing when school started this year!  Yay! We of course made it to Hobby Lobby, because it’s awesome.  Next we hit Marshalls where I got another pair of capris and Christa found a cute Donna Dixon make up bag which my awesome sister is monogramming for her.  Next we went to Bed Bath and Beyond in search for the perfect beach towel.  We also made it to a couple of other places looking for swim cover ups.  Lastly we went to Katie’s and Bjax for some cool summer accessories. 

 
We ended the day at Bruno’s Pizza!  It was delicious and we made a plan for Savannah while waiting for our food.  We’ve purchased several groupons for food and tours.  We want to be sure and fit them all in in the time we’re there.

 
I’d like to mention that my other BFF Amy Jane is also always there for me too – She would have gladly joined in the fun of the day – but she had to work.



So I stayed really busy and made it through Saturday without having a meltdown.  I have to say I was pretty proud of myself.  Then came Sunday. . . .

I decided I needed to hear hymns.  I grew up with hymns and there is something comforting about them.  The Bible church I attend in town doesn’t often sing them.  It’s a little more contemporary, which is fine most of the time. However, sometimes I’m in the mood for a more traditional style of worship.  With this in mind, I headed off to First Presbyterian Church where I visit often.  The service was good as always.  It was communion Sunday which was exactly what I needed after a reflective weekend.  After church I drove over to my land lord’s house, just a couple of blocks from the church.  I hopped out to drop my rent check in the box and when I returned, my car wouldn’t start.  Ugh! 
 


I called my friend Christy who headed over to help.  Originally I thought it was the alternator due to some particular signs.  After some less then helpful conversations with the Hyundai roadside assistant hotline, we decided we should seek help from someone who might actually show up.  Christy was able to get in touch with a friend who came over to help us out.  It turned out to just be the battery.  With a jump start, I headed to Wal-Mart for a new one and all is well.  Thanks CB!

So I’m reminded again how blessed I am to have such great friends who are always there for me.  I hope they know how much I love them. 


3 comments:

Amy Jane said...

16 days!!!!!

Enjoying Life Together said...

If you're on I-40, you better take exit 373 and see ME!!!! I even offer a free nights stay for you and your friends. :)

Dana said...

Excited to be able to spend some time with you in Savannah soon.