Friday, June 28, 2013

Low Country Fun!

Vacation is still going great.  I don't care how many times I visit Savannah and Charleston, I always enjoy my stay. 

You may have seen on Facebook that we got to meet Cheryl Day, owner of Back In The Day Bakery!  I've been a fan of hers for years.  We ate lunch there and then returned for sweet treats on our way out of town today.  The "Old Fashioned" vanilla cupcakes  and Lavender cookies are wonderful.

Later we returned to Art Bash for another painting party.  Amy and I just happened upon the Art Bash studio last summer and discovered the owner is a fellow Texan.  We contacted her again this year and she was kind enough to schedule a Savannah Scene for Thursday night's class so we would have a great Savannah souvenir to take home. 



We stopped in a Flea Market that we passed.  It's called  - Two Women and a Warehouse.  They had some pretty fun things.  My favorites were this Retro turquoise phone and the beautiful Jadeite! 


We took some time to walk through some of the squares and see some of my favorite Savannah homes.  Most of all I'm glad I got a chance to spend some time with Dana again.  I'm so glad we planned to be in Savannah at the same time! 




We left Savannah this morning and headed to Charleston.  Over the years I've heard a lot about Boone Hall, a near by plantation.  We decided to check it out this trip.  I have to be honest and say that I really wasn't that impressed.  The grounds and gardens were beautiful and would be lovely in a cooler season.  The house however was built in 1936.  It's the third home to have stood on the that spot. We only got to see 4 rooms and seeing as the house isn't that old, there wasn't a lot of historic information shared. The most interesting thing I learned was that the TV movie "North and South" was filmed on the plantation.


We made it into downtown Charleston for a late lunch and shopping on Market Street. Once this cooled off this evening we ventured out of the hotel to explore the historic district a bit more.  We leave for Texas in the morning.  It's been a great vacation. 

 
 
Savannah/Charleston 2013 was a huge success.  Now on to Family Vacation in Colorado!

No comments: