Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Sweet Savannah!



This summer I will be going to one of my favorite places - ever. Savannah, Georgia. I'll be going there in June on vacation with my friend Amy Jane. There are many reasons I love Savannah and over the next few weeks I'll tell you some of those reasons. I couldn't possibly put all the reasons in just one post, so I'll spread it out.

Some of you know I've spent a considerable about of time in Savannah and even considered moving there.
My first trip to Savannah was in July of 2002. Steffi, Christa and I headed there after we attended a wedding in Georgia. We immediately loved the city. It's very charming. You really do feel as though you've stepped back in time when your in the Historic District. On that trip we only stayed about 2 or 3 days and we had to get back home, but I know I would return.

If you have never traveled to the Low Country, it is a trip worth taking.

Facts:
The city was settled by Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe in 1733.
It is the oldest city in Georgia.
It's is home of the country's larges Historic District.
It was build on a grid (the 24 city squares)- see map.

I'll share some more facts and some of my favorite things about the city in the weeks to come.

4 comments:

Steffi Kirkendoll said...

I'm jealous, but I know you two will have fun!

Amy Jane said...

I'm so excited! And I just can't hide it! I'm about to lose control and I think I like it!

I can't get any work done....

Shawn said...

Oh I just know there's a trip to Paula Deen's restaurant in this vacation somewhere!!!

~H

Bud (Rick Erwin) said...

I hope you are not going there to meet some fellow with a yellow, tan, red, whatever dog named Mandy.